The General Directorate for Land Transport ("Dirección General de Transporte Terrestre") is a nation-wide line agency that is part of the Ministry of Transports and Communications.
It is in charge of regulating land transport and traffic, authorizing the provision of road-based land transit and transport services and ancillary services.
Its specific functions include:
- Proposing and implementing policies targeted at managing passenger and cargo land transport services.
- Proposing projects for standards, regulations and other provisions related to land transit and transport activities.
- Granting authorizations for the provision of passenger and cargo land transport services, both at national and international level, and for their ancillary services.
- Assuming management and keeping the national administrative records related to road-based land transport and transit updated, in coordination with regional and local governments, as appropriate.
- Keeping a standard driving license system: standardizing, coordinating and controlling the licensing process at a national level and issuing driver’s licenses within its scope of responsibility.
- Keeping a standard system dealing with approvals or certifications, verifications and technical inspections of vehicles, as well as standardizing its operation.
- Developing activities targeted at promoting road education and road safety, within the Ministry’s scope of responsibility.
- Producing statistics related to land-based transport and transit of goods, within the Ministry’s scope of responsibility.
- Participating, on behalf of the Ministry, as a competent national body in charge of land transport, both in national and international events related to land transport and transit.
- Proposing national and international covenants and agreements, within its scope of responsibility.
- Other functions assigned by the Vice-Minister of Transports, within its scope of responsibility.
In order to carry out its functions, the General Directorate for Land Transport consists of the following directorates:
- Directorate for Standards and Regulations.
- Directorate for Land Transport Services.
- Directorate for Road Traffic and Safety.