Fourth mobile telephony operator
Viettel enters market as fourth mobile telephony service operator
In August 2012, the Peruvian government awarded part of the radio spectrum in the 900 MHz band through a concession for provision of mobile telephony services for a 20-year period. This allowed improving the position of Viettel Perú (Bitel) as fourth mobile operator, which has increased market competition and expanded the offer of telecommunications services in the country. The company started operation in July 2014.
The government, in line with its social inclusion policy, has bound the operator to provide mobile services in 48 remote and prioritized districts outside of Lima and Callao.
Moreover, the government has achieved free high-speed internet for 718 public entities (438 schools, 112 health centers and 168 town halls) of the 168 poorest districts, for a 10-year period.
900 MHz band tender
VIETTEL Perú – Mobile Service (PCS)
- Awarding year: 2012
- Financial bid: US$2,000,000.00
- Concession term: 20-year period from the closing date (September 29, 2032)
- Term to start operations: April 11, 2015
- o Free broadband internet for 10 years, starting on August 1, 2014, for 718 government institutions Progress: 59 town halls, 144 educational centers, and 34 health centers
- • 20-year term investment (2012 to 2032); US$240 million (*)
From 2015 to 2025: US$120 million (US$12 million per year) (**)
(*) Amount estimated by the Deputy Ministry of Communications. It has not been established in the concession contract.
(**) Annual estimate taking into account the total estimate
1900 MHz band tender
VIETTEL PERÚ S.A.C. – Local Carrier, International Long Distance Carrier and Mobile Service (PCS)
- Awarding of concession: 2011
- Financial bid: US$1,300,000.00
- Having a total of 15,000 mobile lines in service by the first year and achieving at least 338,000 lines in service by the fifth year. Viettel currently has installed capacity for mobile lines.
- Providing free internet service to 4,025 financially disadvantaged schools by the third year. During the second year, they complied with installing internet services in a total of 2,416 school premises
Concession contract and appendices – 900 MHz band
Concession contract and appendices – 1,900 MHz band