A value-added service is a service that – while using carrier or final services for broadcasting – add some features or improvements to their base service. This service can be exploited by any natural or legal person, observing the applicable regulations.
The procedure for obtaining such authorization (value-added with own network) is subject to positive silence if the networks only use a physical medium. It is subject to negative silence, if the networks use a radio spectrum.
The Minister is empowered to suspend the provision of value-added services when their operation harms the telecommunications network.
Moreover, it is worth noting that Peruvian Telecommunications Investment Fund (FITEL, by its Spanish initials) resources account for 1% of income received for the provision of value-added public services related to package-based data switching (internet access).
Finally, non-compliance with registering in the corresponding value-added registry is considered a serious breach.
- Package-based data switching is a service that, without using an own network, splits data signals, according to a sequence or pattern, into standard sizes known as packages using CCITT standards X.25 and X.75. This service can include different types of new, similar technologies. Real-time voice traffic is excluded from this service.
- Enquiry Service is an interactive service that provides the capacity to access information stored on central database. This information will be sent to the user only upon request. This information can be individually looked up the moment the sequence of the desired information starts, remaining under the control of the user.
- Data storage and forwarding is a service that, through a public telecommunications network, enables the exchange of messages among user stations using storage and forwarding means. In other words, it enables message exchange among geographically dispersed users in delayed time.
- Data exchange and processing is an interactive process that, through the public telecommunications network, enables data processing and remote messaging exchange among geographically dispersed users.
- Voice messaging is a transmission service for voice messages. Upon request by the applicant (subscriber or not), an operator transmits a brief message either by calling one or more telephone numbers at a specific time or by answering a call from a specific person (subscriber or not).
- Remote alarm is a service through which an electric signal is generated through a remotely controlled device each time the conditions of the supervised system are modified so that they deviate from an allowed range.